Skip to content

Last month 566 parent/carers and young people accessed our service which led to a total of 2,981 emails, contact forms, telephone calls and face to face meetings. Contact us if you need our advice and support.  

Free, confidential and impartial information for parents and carers. We offer advice and support in issues related to Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND). This includes information and processes related to health and social care.

The Definition of SEN and Disabilities

The definition of SEN & Disabilities, identifying health needs, allowances and Social Care

Who to talk to

Guidance on who to talk to and advice around bullying.

Early Years

Information on early child development and support

SEN Support in Education Settings

Information on SEN support and supporting behaviour and literacy difficulties at school

Frequently Asked Questions

SEND Support, EHC Needs Assessment, EHC plan and SEND Tribunal frequently asked questions from parent/carers

Local Authority Services and how they can help

A description of Essex local authority services and professionals and when it is appropriate to involve a professional

Types of Education Settings

An overview of the different types of educational settings and how they support children with SEND

Home to School Transport

Information on how to apply for home to school transport, understanding your rights and how to appeal a transport decision

SEN Funding in Mainstream Schools/Settings

Information on special educational needs funding in mainstream schools, including Early Years, Further and Higher Education settings

Choosing a School for a Child or Young Person with SEND

Information on applying and starting a new school, transition and moving schools, how to appeal a school place and home education.


Information on school attendance, Emotional Based School Avoidance, Reduced Timetables, Penalty Notices and supporting medical needs

Suspensions and Permanent Exclusions

Information on suspensions and permanent exclusions, unlawful exclusions, what to do if you don't agree and managed moves

Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessments

Information on EHC Needs Assessment, how to apply for one and local authority decisions around assessment requests

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHC Plans)

Information around EHC plans, such as draft plans, choosing a school, finalising the plan, mediation and more.

Annual Reviews

Information on Annual Reviews, such as Phase Transfers and what happens if the local authority cease an EHCP following an Annual Review

Appealing to the SEND Tribunal Service

Information on lodging an appeal, such as refusal to assess, refusal to issue, contents and/or school placement, cease to maintain and more

Personal Budgets

This information is about personal budgets for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN).

Raising Concerns or Making a Complaint

Information on how to raise concerns or make a formal complaint, resolving disagreements, appeals, disability discrimination tribunal claims and Judicial Review

Emotional Based School Avoidance

Guidance on the steps you can take if your child is experiencing anxiety around going to school.