Skip to content

One Planning is a term generally used by Essex education settings and follows the graduated approach of assess, plan, do & review, as outlined in the SEND Code of Practice 2014.   

The SEND Code of Practice says:

Where a pupil is identified as having SEN, schools should take action to remove barriers to learning and put effective special educational provision in place.



When your child is identified has having SEN, the school should use a graduated approach based on four steps.

These are:

  • Assess 
  • Plan
  • Do 
  • Review
Understanding the Graduated Approach
Watch this video to find out more about the Graduated Approach


Teaching staff should work with the Special Educational Needs Coordinator to assess your child’s needs, so that they give the right support. They should involve you in this and, where possible, seek your child’s views.

The SEND Code of Practice says:

Schools should take seriously any concerns raised by a parent.


Sometimes schools will seek advice from Local Authority professionals or a health professional. They should talk to you about this first.


If the school decides that your child needs SEN support it must tell you. The school should agree with you the outcomes that will be set, what help will be provided and a date for progress to be reviewed.


Your child’s class or subject teacher is usually responsible for the work that is done with your child, and should work closely with any teaching assistants or specialist staff involved. The school should tell you who is responsible for the support your child receives.

All those who work with your child should be made aware of:

their needs, the outcomes sought, the support provided and any teaching strategies or approaches that are required.



The SEND Code of Practice says:

Schools should meet with parents at least three times a year.


The school should review your child’s progress, and the difference that the help your child has been given has made, on the date agreed in the plan. You and your child should be involved in the review and in planning the next step.

If your child has not responded to the help they were given, the review should decide what can be done next. This may include more or different help.

Sometimes it helps to involve other professionals to investigate the difficulties or to plan the next steps.

You and the school can look at the Local Offer to see what support should be available that could help achieve your child’s outcomes.

Sometimes the next step may be to ask the local authority for an EHC needs assessment. If the school decides to do this they must tell you. If you think it is needed you can ask for it yourself.

Where can I get more information, advice or support?

You can find out more about SEN Support by:

  • looking at the SEN Information Report on the school website
  • talking to your child’s teacher or the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (Senco)
  • looking at the Local Offer
  • reading Chapter 6 of the SEND Code of Practice

Also in this section:

SEN Support in Education Settings

Explaining what SEN support is, the different types of support, and what support is available to you and your child or young person.

Local Authority services and how they can help

A description of Essex local authority services and professionals and when it is appropriate to involve a professional

Literacy Difficulties, including where there are concerns about dyslexia

Essex Approach to supporting children and young people with literacy difficulties

Supporting Challenging Behaviour

Supporting challenging behaviour at school and at home

Supporting your Neurodiverse Child

A resource pack produced by the Essex Family Forum