Skip to content

Last month 566 parent/carers and young people accessed our service which led to a total of 2,981 emails, contact forms, telephone calls and face to face meetings. Contact us if you need our advice and support.  

Do you sometimes:

  • Find it a lot harder to learn than others in your class?
  • Struggle to move around your school or college?
  • Have difficulty talking about how are feeling and what you might need to help you?
  • Is it sometimes tricky being around friends or groups of people and not knowing what to do?

If so, you might have Special Educational Needs (this is sometimes shortened to SEN).

What support could I get?

  • A learning plan that will support you
  • Extra help from a teacher or assistant
  • A safe place to go to and knowing who you can talk to
  • Support with things like getting around school safely
  • Different equipment
  • Working in a smaller group
  • Advice from experts who will know how best to help you
  • Help to take part in the class and outside activities 

What can you do if you are finding it difficult at school or college?

  • You can talk to your parents or carers
  • You can ask your school about SEN support
  • We can support you if you are finding it difficult at school or college

“A Graduated Approach”

 This means the steps that school or college should take to help you.

Understanding the Graduated Approach
Watch this video to find out more about the graduated response.

Assess, plan, do, review

The law says that if you have SEN, school or college should take action to make sure that there is support in place for you and there is nothing stopping you from learning.

School will work with you to assess your needs, plan and provide your support, and review how you are getting on:

1. Assess

School will find out what your needs are. They will talk to you, your teachers, your parents or carers. They will look at your progress and any difficulties you have. 

3. Do

Everybody that works with you will follow this plan.

2. Plan

If school decide you need extra support – they will write a plan. This is called an SEN Support Plan. 

4. Review

School will check if your plan is working. This is called a review.

You can talk to school about your plan. If it is not working, you can talk about changing the plan. Perhaps you need more or different help. You should be included in the review and in planning what to do next.

Also in this section:

Sharing Your Views

The Most Important Person in this process is you!

The Mental Capacity Act Explained

The Mental Capacity Act 2005 is a law that affects people age 16 or over, who are not able to make decisions for themselves.