Skip to content

Last month 566 parent/carers and young people accessed our service which led to a total of 2,981 emails, contact forms, telephone calls and face to face meetings. Contact us if you need our advice and support.  

You can put your representations to the Governing Body of the school.  For an exclusion of less than 5 and half day they do not have to meet with you but they must consider your representations and views. 

For a permanent exclusion the school must inform the governors and they must meet within 15 school days. 

Parents can attend this meeting and make written representations. 

If the Governors uphold the permanent exclusion, then you may ask for an Independent Review Panel (IRP). 

Parents have 15 school days to lodge an IRP against the governor’s decision and the IRP must be held within 15 school days of the parents’ request.

We can support you to make written representations and we can help capture your child/young person’s views

Advice on Preparing your Representation

When thinking about your questions and concerns start with a bullet point list of the things you want to highlight or ask about.

Independent Review Panel

Guidance on preparing for an Independent review panel.

Disability Discrimination

Guidance on how to make a claim around disability discrimination under the Equality Act 2010.

Also in this section:

Exclusions and Suspensions

Information to help guide you around suspensions and exclusions


Guidance around suspensions.

Permanent Exclusions

Guidance around permanent exclusions.

Unlawful Exclusions

Guidance on informal or unofficial exclusions.

Exclusions Frequently Asked Questions

Parents & Carers Frequently Asked Questions around suspensions & exclusions

Off Site Direction

Maintained schools can send their pupils off-site for education to improve their behaviour for a time limited period.

Managed Moves

A managed move is an agreement made between parent, child and school and leads to the transfer of a pupil to another mainstream school permanently.

Supporting Challenging Behaviour

Guidance on how to support challenging behaviour at school and at home.

Independent Review Panel

Guidance of preparing for an Independent Review Panel

Disability Discrimination

Guidance on how to make a claim around disability discrimination under the Equality Action 2010

Exclusion in other Education Settings

Guidance around alternative education provision.